Douglas J. Titus, Jr.
Atty. Doug Titus brings a wealth of experience gained during a distinguished, multi-disciplinary legal career to Betras, Kopp & Harshman’s Complex Litigation Department. A graduate of Villanova University and Georgetown University Law School, Atty. Titus is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell and is recognized as a Florida “Super Lawyer.”
After receiving his J.D. from Georgetown, Atty. Titus clerked for Chief Judge Gerald D. Reilly of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. Following his clerkship, he was named an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Florida where he was assigned to both criminal and civil trials and appellate cases.
Following his tenure in the U.S. Attorney’s office, he joined Holland & Knight as partner in charge of the firm’s Litigation Central Group in Tampa. He left Holland & Knight in 1993 to cofound George & Titus, P.A. and was principal partner of the highly successful firm for 24 years. He joined Betras, Kopp & Harshman on an “of counsel” basis in 2017. In that capacity he maintains an active trial practice in federal and state courts and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Atty. Titus’ work as a prosecutor, plaintiff’s counsel, and defense counsel in cases involving a wide variety of criminal, civil, and regulatory matters gives him a unique and highly valuable perspective on the world of complex business and personal injury litigation. During his career he has represented clients charged with insider trading, market manipulation, accounting irregularities, securities fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud, telemarketing fraud, procurement fraud, money-laundering, racketeering, and criminal violations of environmental regulations. He has also been retained by individuals and corporations involved in litigation related to contract disputes, fiduciary responsibilities, trusts, and estates.
The venues in which Atty. Titus practices are as diverse as his case work. Along with the federal and state courts, he has represented clients before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, debarment proceedings at the U.S. Department of Defense, and a variety of alternative dispute resolution proceedings. He has also provided counsel to individuals and corporations under investigation by local, state, statewide, and federal grand juries and regulatory authorities.
Along with the results he produces for his clients, Atty. Titus’ outstanding performance is demonstrated by the wealth of awards he has received from impartial observers of the legal profession and the esteem in which he is held by his peers and colleagues. In addition to his Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” rating and designation as a Florida “Super Lawyer,” he has been recognized in Florida Legal Elite and Florida Trend Magazine. Best Lawyers of America cited him for excellence in the categories of White-Collar Criminal Defense, Civil Rights Law Criminal Defense, and White Collar and Personal Injury Litigation Defense.
The legal community has acknowledged Atty. Titus’ accomplishments in many ways. He is a past president and secretary of the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and received the group’s George C. Carr Memorial Award for Excellence in Federal Practice and Distinguished Service to the Federal Bar. The members of the Hillsborough County Bar Association selected him to serve in a number of prestigious positions including secretary, member of the Board of Directors, chair of the CLE and Community Liaison committees, a member of the Court Civil Rules Committee, and board member of both the Trial Lawyers and Criminal Law sections.
He is an emeritus member of the Herbert Goldburg Inn of Court, was appointed by the United States District Judges for the Middle District to serve as a member of the Merit Selection Panel that assisted in selection of a U. S. Magistrate Judge in Tampa, was a member of the Florida Bar’s 13th Circuit Fee Arbitration Committee, and served a two-year term on the Local Rules Advisory Committee regarding the Rules of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Mr. Titus is a member of the Hillsborough County, Florida, District of Columbia Bar Associations. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeals, and the U.S. District Courts of the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida.
Mr. Titus is also a member of The Rotary Club of Tampa.
Areas of Practice
- Complex white-collar criminal defense
- Securities litigation
- Arbitration and alternative dispute resolution
- Complex business and civil litigation
- Personal Injury litigation
- Federal and state false claims act and qui tam litigation
- Defense contractor procurement fraud
- Bank fraud
- Tax Fraud
- Environmental law, including regulatory matters and criminal proceedings
- Racketeering and money laundering
- Georgetown University Law School, Juris Doctorate, 1975
- Villanova University, Bachelor of Science, 1972
- Florida State Courts
- United States Supreme Court
- Eleventh and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida.
Honors and Awards
- Florida Super Lawyers
- Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Legal Elite
- Florida Trend Magazine: recognized for excellence in White Collar Criminal Defense and General Litigation
- Best Lawyers of America for White Collar Criminal Defense
- Best Lawyers Tampa, FL: Lawyer of the Year for Civil Rights Law, Criminal Defense; White-Collar and Personal Injury Litigation, Defendants
- George C. Carr Memorial Award for Excellence in Federal Practice and Distinguished Service to the Federal Bar from the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hillsborough County Bar Association (Member, Board of Directors; secretary; chairman of the CLE Committee; chairman of the Community Liaison Committee; member, Court Civil Rules Committee; member, Board of Directors Trial Lawyers Section; member, Board of Directors Criminal Law Section)
- Florida Bar Association (Member, 13th Circuit Fee Arbitration Committee)
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association (Past president and secretary)
- Emeritus member of the Herbert Goldburg Inn of Court.
- Member, Tampa Merit Selection Panel to assist the judges of the Middle District Court in the selection of a U. S. Magistrate Judge in Tampa
- Appointed to two-year term on the Local Rules Advisory Committee regarding the Rules of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Past Employment Positions
- Clerk for Chief Judge Gerald D. Reilly of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1975–1977
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the for the Middle District of Florida, 1977–1981
- Holland & Knight, Partner in charge of the firm’s Litigation Central Group in Tampa, 1981–1993
- George & Titus, Co-founder and Principal Partner, 1993–2017
- Betras, Kopp & Harshman, Of Counsel, 2017 to present
Member, Rotary Club of Tampa